Samstag, 13. Dezember 2008

sip - speaking in public

I was talking about corruption, one of my favourite subjects related to russian politics/economics/Russia whatever. But presentations might be strange. As soon as you imagine to separate from your body and stand beside you -I mean the you, that´s talking- that´s weird. It´s only possible, if you´re not nervous about standing in front of many people.
Yesterday, when I´ve still been working on the presentation, I was suddenly fed up with it. Some days before we talked to an italian friend of us, who complained about the fact, that she as an Erasmus-student has to do presentations in most of her classes, while studying in Germany. We told her, that it´s just common to have that kind of work to do, often related to the subject, about which you gonna write at the end of the semester. She was still angry.
I used to hold presentations already at school, but in my first semester I was angry too. I had to prepare 4 of them and I knew, that´s it´s more than just the ability to speak in front of 10-200 students for 45 minutes.
And now? I like it. I agree with you, that it sounds strange, but I really like it. I´m not more talented than others, but I guess, most of all my presentations in politics made me fearless. You can´t imagine, how aggressive those lazy-crazy-chilling politicians might be! I should admit, that there were cases, when I was talking during the after-the-presentation-we´ll-talk-about-your-topic-and-discuss-it-about-another-hour about things, of which I didn´t know anything at all. And then the girl -being responsible for the other 45min- asking me afterwards: "Ähm, sorry, Susi, I really appreciate, that you answered all the questions, that they were asking about my topic, ´cause I haven´t read the concerning literature." - "Oh, I haven´t read it either."
When you´re once in the position, that -during your speech- you imagine to be apart from your body, let´s say your soul and standing besides you, the speaking body and looking at it, that´s fun. But be aware to not laugh about that imagination! Then, congratulations, you´ve reached the level of not-being-afraid-of-anything-about-speaking-in-public!

Keine Kommentare: